VIPER grinding (5 axis machining) is transforming the way engineers design for manufacture. The viper system is based around the ability to change the grinding tooling in process allowing multiple features to be produced within one machine cycle – this leads to reduced setting and manufacturing time and ultimately lead time and cost! Originally developed by Rolls Royce for safety-critical components in aero engines, VIPER is a 5-axis high speed grinding machine capable of machining some of the toughest materials, including nickel-based Super alloys. With extraordinary cutting rates (up to 5 times normal performance), this process is fully capable of delivering the accurate tolerances and material properties demanded by the exact design criteria.
ELE – Making Things Possible
ELE has the largest viper grinding machine currently in the market, one of only seven worldwide. This 5 axis machine enables ELE to extend its manufacturing capability and produce a wide range of parts more efficiently, speedily and economically. Components made using this technology include;
- Aero Blades, Vanes and Seal segments
- IGT Blades, Vanes and Seal segments
Creep Feed Grinding
Creep Feed Grinding Is a process where the depth of cut is increased while the feed rate is decreased unlike the normal grinding practices. It is used for large amounts of material removal in just a few passes thus causing less stress and fatigue.
Creep feed grinding is a highly accurate and efficient method of machining intricate forms in a wide variety of materials. Creep feed grinding has several advantages over other machining and grinding methods, including increased accuracy, efficiency, improved surface finishes, and the ability to grind heat treated materials.
ELE’s range of creep feed grinding machines includes both single wheel and twin wheel. All the machines have diamond dressers, which continuously dress the grinding wheels thus ensuring accurate generation of complex geometric form.
ELE also has a range of Reciprocal Grinding machines where the rate of material removal is not so demanding. The Reciprocal Grinding machines all have diamond dressers to ensure accurate generation of complex geometric form.
ELE options for drilling holes
- Stem Drilling – for holes in material greater than 15mm/19/32” thick and up to 600mm/24” deep. Can also accommodate blind holes.
- Laser Drilling – for holes greater than 0.3mm/0.012” diameter in material less than 15mm/19/32” thick and capable of drilling thousands of holes in a single component.
- Fast Hole Drilling – for holes greater than 0.3mm/0.012” diameter and up to 100mm/4” deep can also accommodate blind holes
- Capillary Drilling - for precise holes smaller than 0.3mm/0.0012” diameter
We love a challenge!
When you need help with a project or just need some advice from one of our technical team - hit the button